DIY Natural Sunscreen
Summertime is just around the corner and everyone is getting excited for some fun in the sun. We are often asked if we make any sunscreen – but sadly, sunscreens are strictly regulated by the FDA and it was cost-prohibitive for our tiny little company to try to get an all-natural sunscreen product certified for sale. Since we can’t provide you with awesome all-natural sun protection we thought we’d give you the next best thing --- the recipe to make your own!
What you need:
Your favorite all-natural lotion or body cream
protective mask or bandana
clean container for your new sunscreen
spoon to mix
1. Measure one half cup (4 oz) of your favorite lotion into a bowl.
2. Put on protective gloves and mask. (Zinc Oxide is not nice to inhale.) If you don’t have a mask, a bandana or kitchen towel wrapped over your nose and mouth will do.
3. Measure your zinc oxide. For an SPF of 12 to 19, measure out 1 ¼ to 1 ½ tbsp of Zinc Oxide. For an SPF over 20, measure out 2 tbsp of zinc oxide.
4. Slowly add the zinc oxide to the lotion in the bowl. Use a spoon (plastic spoon or chopsticks work well too!) to mix thoroughly.
5. Transfer the lotion mixture to a clean container. If you are placing the lotion in a bottle or container with a skinny neck, you can spoon your lotion into a plastic baggy, cut off the corner of the baggy, and squeeze into your bottle (like a pastry bag!).
*Be sure to choose regular zinc oxide rather than micronized zinc oxide. You can find zinc oxide powder from a large number of online suppliers.
Just like with all those commercial sunscreen products, you need to make sure you apply at least 30 minutes before going out in the sun, you need to reapply often, and you need to limit your exposure to the sun as much as possible.
Have fun and stay safe!
About Moody Sister Jess
I am the older, introverted sister. I'm a big nerd and have a passion for sci-fi or fantasy movies, books, and video games. My husband, daughter and I are roller coaster junkies, and if we're not at a theme park you can probably find us playing in the sun or kayaking in one of Florida's crystal clear springs. Last year, I quit my stressful corporate job to focus on family, health, happiness and delivering magnificent skincare to our customers! I love creating products with my hands, and I love that I can share my joy with all of you!