Limes! 7 Home Remedies to Benefit your Health
It is Spring Break y’all! Now, while that doesn’t really mean anything to anyone but coeds, I’ll take any excuse I can get for a margarita. (See where I’m going with this?)
And, as we all know, a good marg needs some tasty limes. (Told ya I’d get there.).
Limes are delicious in everything from margaritas to Mexican food to noodle dishes. (Seriously – squeeze some on your pad thai next time. It will CHANGE. YOUR. LIFE.)
They’re not too hard to grow, in the right climate, and they have a pretty good shelf life.
But did you know they have a ton of health benefits too?
Oh. You did.
Well, you should read on anyway. I’ll put in some pretty pictures.
7 Ways to Use Limes to Benefit Your Health
- Relieves Constipation: The high acidity in limes helps with constipation! That has to be much better than prunes and bran muffins. Try this Home Remedy: Squeeze half of a lime into a 8 oz glass of hot water. Add a teaspoon of salt and mix until it's dissolved. The more pulp the better for natural roughage.
- Acts as an Anti-Inflammatory: The acidity and Vitamin C in citrus fruits also acts as a general anti-inflammatory and can aid with arthritis. Try this Home Remedy: Squeeze limes over foods while cooking to infuse the beneficial vitamins and nutrients into your meals.
- Diabetes Super Food: Citrus fruits are well-known for having a high vitamin C content, but the high levels of soluble fiber in limes offer those with diabetes the most benefits. According to livestrong.com "The soluble fiber found in the peels, juice and pulp of lemons and limes might help you better manage your diabetes health. Soluble fiber might help stabilize your blood glucose levels by helping to slow down your body's absorption of sugar into your bloodstream. Soluble fiber might also help lower your blood pressure and reduce your low-density lipoprotein, or "bad" LDL cholesterol. In addition, soluble fiber might help reduce inflammation of your blood vessels. Diabetes increases your risk of suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke." Try this Home Remedy: Cook meals that include the juice, peel and pulp from limes. Try making a homemade salsa, using lime on chicken or fish or incorporating it into side dishes such as salads or rice.
- Congestion: The oil from limes can help with congestion and respiratory ailments. Just scratching the peel of a lime and inhaling it can give immediate relief! Try this Home Remedy: When congested try this Lime Tea: Juice 1/2 cup of lime juice in a mug with peeled and diced ginger. Pour hot water into it. Mix in 1 tbsp honey.
- Brighten Dull Skin: Limes are a good source of antioxidants and detoxifiers. The acid and vitamin C in this super fruit can help rejuvenate, brighten and renew dull dead skin cells. Try this Home Remedy: Take a lime bath. Cut the fruit in half and juice it into a warm bath. Then take the peel and pulp to scrub your body.
- Fever Reducing: Citrus fruits in general have fever-reducing qualities. Vitamin-C, found in high concentrations in citrus fruits, naturally lowers the temperature of the body. Try this Home Remedy: Add lime juice to water when you have a fever to stay hydrated and help naturally lower your temp.
- Weight Loss: Guess what?! Limes can help you lose weight! Citric acid is a natural fat burner. Try this Home Remedy: Squeeze the juice of an entire lime into a glass of warm water and drink two times daily.
So put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up . . .